The Tote Hotel
It is said that in the early days of settlement the nascent city of Collingwood had one church, one mill, one bridge and fourteen hotels. We don’t know how a vulnerable community would have survived with such a ratio but we suspect the church must have been very free with the sacramental wine.
We haven’t been able to track down the first hotel on the site, it’s lost in the mists of beer fumes. A dairy covered the area for many years but there was a pub called ‘Healys’ here in the early 1870’s. By 1876 The Ivanhoe Hotel was up and running and would stay that way until the name change to The Tote in the early 80’s (1980’s that is).
The present building seems to have been built in 1911, we’ve never found any evidence of the original buildings because we’ve been waiting on a Government grant before starting excavations.
John Wren’s original Totaliser, an illegal betting shop, operated at 136 Johnston Street. The numbering of the street seems to have changed so if anyone knows exactly which shop it was then please let us know. The original Tote operated between 1893 and 1905 and was made famous (in fictionalised form) in Frank Hardy’s novel ‘Power Without Glory’ (1950). As far as we know they never served alcohol or had any bands play.
Events at this venue
Wed: 4pm – 1am
Thu: 4pm – 3am
Fri: 4pm – 3am
Sat: 4pm – 3am
Sun: 4pm – 11pm
Phone: (03) 9419 5320
For information about the booking process and venue requirements please read our PLAY THE TOTE page. Band Booker: Richard Stanley